*DOES NOT SHIP TO NZ OR TAS*
Sprouts and microgreens are very similar, the same seeds can be used to grow either. The main differences are the grow times and growth mediums used. Microgreens are often grown in trays with coco coir or coconut mat growing mediums. Sprouts usually just have one set of leaves which are the plant’s baby leaves, whereas microgreens may sometimes have two or three sets of leaves.
There is a range of different methods of growing sprouts. The two main methods are growth in sprout jars, or growth in trays. In commercial growing there are automated misting systems with good drainage and airflow that massively reduce the maintenance time required to grow your greens.
Our favourite and the easiest way of growing sprouts is in a sprout jar. Interested in getting started? We have a full guide on how you can get growing sprouts at home.
Note: Always stop the sprouting process before the first set of leaves grow, some sprouts need to be cooked before eating. Check seed pages for seed-specific instructions before growing.
Growing seeds as microgreens can produce more food per gram of seed than sprouts. It’s also quite easy, we recommend using a microgreen tray and following the method below:
1. Soak coconut mats in water for 30 minutes.
2. If your seeds are larger than a grain of rice, soak them in water overnight.
3. Place a single coconut mat on the white inner tray of the microgreen grow kit.
4. Scatter seeds evenly over the top of the mat. This step takes a bit of practice to judge how to space them perfectly. You want them to be packed densely enough to support each other as they grow, but not so close that they don't have good airflow over them and end up getting mouldy.
5. Spray gently with water.
6. You can stack trays on top of each other, repeat steps 3-5 with up to 5 additional trays (the weight of the trays presses the seeds down and forces their roots to grow downwards into the coconut mat).
7. Spray each layer of seeds with water daily.
8. When your seeds have sprouted and its shoots are ~3cm long - unstack the trays and place each tray flat and without a cover that they can grow upward.
9. Place plants in sunlight in the final two days to develop their flavour and provide a richer, greener colour.
Our team packs orders Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Unless you are purchasing a product which is out of stock, then we typically have a handling time of less than 48 hours.
Australia Post is our preferred carrier, see our page for more location specific details on postage times.
Typical costs for seed postage are as below:
- 25g packs - $4.00 nation wide
- 100g packs - $5.00-10.00
- 1kg packs - $5.50 - $15.00
We were looking for a selection of sprouting seeds. The four in a package suited us perfectly. Would love to have had mung beans included.....maybe next time??? Thanks. All arrived very quickly and are sprouting in our little sprouter in the kitchen providing lots of easy nutrient.
What a great company to deal with item arrived quickly, packed well my first attempt was very successful and the sprouts were delicious can’t wait for the next batch to be ready
Good quality. And easy to use great little product
Gorgeous set of sprouting seeds that grow really quickly. Just trim to use in salads and gourmet cooking then they grow even more. Continuous supply of yummy fresh crisp micro salad delicious edible garnishes. Staff have been wonderful always emailing and providing updates and rewards. Fantastic I love everything about Urban Plant Growers Thank you
I decided to try growing micro greens for the health benefits. I tried pea shoots and I'm on my 2nd batch - broccoli.
Very good . will be ordering again
I am loving my sprouts. I am thinking I need another jar. Once we have eaten one lot then we have to wait till the next lot have sprouted Highly recommend!
Easy to use and sprouts grew so quickly!
Very pleasant, kind, understanding staff, eager to help. Delivery price reasonable and fast, considering present time. I was very happy they were willing to change the bundle items for my needs, i would recommend UPG to anyone.
Great value price and incredibly quick delivery. But as a newbie to growing sprouts in a mason jar, some more info/instructions on packets would be helpful