Coconut Fibre is made by taking the part of the coconut between the outer shell and the seed coat of a coconut (where the juices are stored). The fibres are then wound into a mat that can be used for micro-green growing or plant germination. It is a brilliant environmentally friendly solution for hydroponic growing that can be used in a completely renewable way.
There are countless reasons why coconut coir mats are one of the best hydroponic mediums to grow in including;
- It is 100% organic and naturally grown
- Great water retention - able to hold 8-9 times its own weight in water
- The medium is renewably produced and completely reusable
- Biodegrades when mixed with regular soil
- Great aeration - facilitating good oxygen supply to your plant roots.
- Contains naturally occurring macro-nutrients, micro-nutrients and trace elements.
- Free from bacteria and fungal spores
Aside from being a great medium to use for micro-green growing in our incubation trays, coconut husk can also be used for;
- Hydroponic growing
- Mixing in with regular soil
- Mushroom farming
They can be cut as desired to grow in whatever arrangements your hearts desire.